Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 8

Today I checked out some ebook readers and downloaded aldiko as my reader of choice after seeing a presentation on it by another librarian today. It crashed right after I imported my first ebook (a Frank Baum collection of short stories from Project Gutenberg) which was not a great sign, but I figured I would give it a shot. Once I got it back up, I like aldiko, but wonder if I would prefer an even more stripped down version. I really don't need to see the cover of my books, especially when the Project Gutenberg books come with an impossible to read text cover. I dearly wish I could take screenshots on this tablet to show you how ugly they are. I also don't see myself taking too manny notes on books (or hondas, as my swipe keyboard keeps writing for books) as I don't on fun reading and rarely have books to read professionally. I do like the interface for reading and the way I can control the brightness of the screen. The page turning motion is ok, but you can also use the volume keys, which is handy. I am amazed at the level and types of customization available on pretty much all the apps I have DLed, even though all are free.

More keyboard fun: it can learn from one instance of a word in a document. Like the first time I swiped "gutenberg," it suggested horng or firebug (i know!). The second time, and subsequently, it did it right. This might make note taking a lot easier! I also figured out how to get to the money symbols keyboard. It is funny how the swipe keyboard makes me confront how my brain works. Apparently as I type words, it takes me a few seconds to connect the beginning and ending of a word. E.g., during swiping "beginning," I got through begi and forgot what letter was next to connect with the ing, and where it was on the keyboard. This probably leads to more errors in the swipe. It sure makes me wonder how i manage to type so fast on a normal keyboard.

I found my stylus after losing it yesterday. I then lost it in my bag on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment