Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 7

My neck is killing me today. I am not sure if this is due to hunching over the tablet for the past 6 days or my house-cleaning-frenzy, but I am giving writing on the tablet a day off to let my tendons restretch.

I have been doing a lot of browsing on Dolphin and finding a lot of neat features, like bookmarks, viewing all open tabs, etc. The gesture browsing doesn't always work. I think the gestures track the placement and size of the gesture instead of the shape. It comes with a ^ symbol as the gesture to "go to top." I had reset this to a line and circle at the top (think a drawing of a balloon) and it kept interpreting this as "back" (which looks like a horizontal line with an arrowhead pointing left). I reset my "top of the screen" gesture to a very narrow ^ shape and now it works better. I tried some smaller localized gestures (what if I drew a star in the top right-hand corner of the screen?) but this is hard to use, as the gesture is "locked" to the location you set it at. For example, I am browsing in horizontal mode and set a gesture as the top right hand corner, when I rotate the tab and browse vertically, the same corner is now the top left-hand corner. To use the gesture I have to remember which corner I set it in, and the exact orientation I started drawing the gesture in. See the picture, and pretend the arrow is a vector showing the direction of the swipe:



Definitely understandable from a programming standpoint, but it's kind of annoying for a device which is capable of orienting in many directions.

I also figured out how to access the bookmarks bar. This thing came preloaded with a whole bunch of AT&T bookmarks to stuff I will never, ever use (at&t maps? at&t-owned wireless hotspots locator? at&t cell phone homepage? at&t weather? Sure, those are better than the google versions!) and they were right at the top of the bookmarks list. I figured out how to delete these FINALLY and move my bookmarks around correctly. I wish I could add more bookmark folders but as of yet that had evaded me.

Today I downloaded the QR Droid reader. Weirdly it seems to flip the camera view, so when I move the tablet left, the camera tracks to the right. Makes it a little tough to find QR codes, but the reader is really good at recognizing them, so it all works out.

I also got the Adobe PDF reader. Still no copy-paste (ARRRGH!) but I like the display and navigation better than the Quickoffice PDF viewer.

I am a little confused by the charging/battery life. I have had to charge twice now. Yesterday I had it plugged into my computer for 6 hours and it only chargd up about 80%! Very frustrating, I wonder how this thing will handle battery-wise when I take it to conferences, when I don't always have 6 hours to leave it plugged in.

1 comment:

  1. of course, AT&T sells advertising that they get a larger slice of on their maps page & weather page. The hotspot locator can be helpful imo b/c (only lately) AT&T made those hotspots free-to-connect. Used to be that you had to pay $9 per day to log on, but now most places are free for basic browsing. Unless yr in a hotel like that one in Chicago where they wanted some exorbitant fee for connection. I went down to the lobby & hit a free spot.

    ReplyDelete