Saturday, February 12, 2011

Day 2

Today I downloaded the Dolphin Browser and installed my first app (Mahjong, because I like puzzles).

I also figured out how to add icons to the homescreen. One thing I wish I could do is delete stuff from the homescreen.

I am really frustrated by the lack of documentation with the Galaxy. I got a 12-page quick start booklet and it covers VERY LITTLE of what I have questions about. I end up Googling and finding hundreds of web pages with all sorts of conflicting advice. It's more confusing because no one uses the same language to describe what is broken and how to fix it, so you need to use plenty of synonyms in your searches to get close to what you want. It's terrifying, as I don't know whose advice to follow. I think this is a trend, as my iPod Touch came with a similar "training booklet" as did a friend's new iPhone, but I would like to register my discontent.

I was able to make Dolphin do the things I want in a browser (force-open new tabs, quick scroll to bottom and top of screen) and have fallen in love with the gestural browsing, but it seems to work intermittently. Sometimes the option to open in a new tab disappears after I have opened 3 or 4 links from the same page; it confuses two gestures which are similar; sometimes trying to view open tabs opens the bookmarks bar. I am not sure if this is because I am a fumble-fingers or if it is just buggy.

I discovered that you can press the power button to lock the screen-- so view a webpage, click power, now the touchscreen is disabled so you cannot scroll, click, or interact with the page. I guess I "discovered" this in the sense that I kept swearing it because the touchscreen kept stopping working; it was because I was pressing the power button every time I was picking it up to move it around the house.

No complaints about Mahjong. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment